December 04, 2006

WOW! I DO LIKE BRUSSELS SPROUTS

Okay, so my Husband likes these little cabbage balls. I have always felt bad, because I don't and I never really had made an effort to find a truly great preparation because they were not one of my favorites.

So while at Whole Foods on Friday, I saw a cute little bag of the little cabbage heads and decided to really make an effort. This is what ensued.

Sausage Sage Brussels Sprouts

1/2 lb of country style ground sausage
1 small yellow onion, chopped finely
6 cloves garlic, smashed and minced
Salt and Pepper to taste
julienne Sage leaves, fresh
3 TBSP cooking sherry
2 TBSP good olive oil
2 lbs brussels sprouts
1/2 cup finely shredded Pecornio Toscano cheese

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

In a large sautee pan, brown the sausage...when it is brown on the outside and pink on the inside still, add onions. Turn down the heat, add salt and pepper to taste, and let mixture carmelize...occasionally using a pancake turner to cut up the sausage into ground pieces.

Add garlic, let warm thru to release the aroma. Add the cooking sherry, sage, then the olive oil. Remove from heat.

Cut each sprout in half. Toss with sausage mixture. Cook in the oven for 20 mins. After the time has elapsed, remove the brussels sprouts from the oven, and top withe the pecornio cheese. Return the mixture to the oven for 5 mins. more.

Serves 4 people as a side dish.


WOW! My Husband Troy, loved this so much we ate the whole thing for dinner. I must admit, it was pretty good and I definately expanded my Winter vegetable repetoire!

No comments: